The NT Government has released the Northern Territory youth strategy 2023 to 2033 to identify programs, services, and infrastructure that can respond effectively to issues affecting young people in the Territory. The strategy outlines the aspirations of young Territorians and highlights key areas of importance to them.
The strategy’s vision is for a Northern Territory where young people lead enjoyable lives, are empowered to achieve their full potential, are socially connected and positive participants in their community.
The strategy lists 7 key domains and aims for young Territorians to:
- be connected to culture and community
- be financially secure and have material basics
- be able to learn, contribute and achieve
- be cared for, valued and safe
- be able to live a healthy life
- have appropriate and secure housing
- have a natural and built environment that supports a high quality of life.
The 10-year strategy will be underpinned by three 3-year action plans throughout the life of the document. The NT Government’s strategy outlines the aspirations of young Territorians. The first action plan will be released in the 2023-2024 financial year.
The development of the strategy was overseen by the Project Reference Group comprised of young people from the NT Youth Round Table, NT Council of Social Services, regional youth advisory groups and government.